We have created the post of Privacy Officer, who is specifically responsible for our compliance with PIPEDA. The Privacy Officer can be contacted by email, fax or in writing as noted in (8) below.
2. Purpose of Collection
We will only collect and use the personal information about our customers that it is necessary for us to have in order to carry on business with them: i.e. credit information to open a charge account, credit card details for processing payments, e-mail addresses for on-line ordering and communication. Whenever we ask for personal information, we will clearly state why we need the information and how we will use it. We will not disclose any personal information concerning our customers to anyone else without the customer’s consent.
Before using any personal information about any individual, we will ensure that we have the individual’s express consent in an appropriately signed form. We will not disclose any personal information to any third party without the customer’s prior consent.
4. Collection Limits
We will limit the collection of personal information to only that which is necessary as stated above.
5. Use and Disclosure Limits
We will use and disclose a customer’s personal information only for the purposes for which we have received the customer’s consent. We will only keep personal information about customers for as long as we need it to fulfill our stated purposes or comply with government legislation. When the information is no longer needed it will be destroyed.
We will protect all personal information in our possession from unauthorized access, from both inside and outside the company. Whether in electronic or paper format, the information will only be available to employees who need it to fulfill their job functions. All of our employees have received a copy of the company’s privacy rules.
We will maintain all personal information in our possession in as accurate, complete and up-to-date a form as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. Customers are encouraged to keep us informed of any changes that may occur.
We have posted this Corporate Privacy Statement in our stores and on our web site. Individuals may make inquiries about personal information privacy issues by email to [email protected], by fax to the attention of The Privacy Officer at 519-966-6337 or by mail to The Privacy Officer, Monarch Basics, 1835 Provincial Rd., Windsor, Ontario N8W 5V7
9. Individual Access
We will give any individual access to any personal information about him or her in our possession, upon presentation of satisfactory identification. Individuals may request access to their personal information by contacting the Privacy Officer by any of the means noted above. A reasonable administration fee may be charged to supply the information. In the event that the individual identifies any inaccuracies, we will immediately make any appropriate changes.
10. Challenging Compliance
Should any customer have a concern or complaint about the collection, use or disclosure of their personal information by Monarch Basics, they should contact the Privacy Officer as stated above.
Privacy and Data Notice
Effective date: September 12, 2023
This Privacy and Data Notice (“Notice”) describes the handling of personal information, non-personal information and other data (“data”) collected, used and disclosed by Monarch Office Supply Inc. and/or any of their respective affiliates and associates in connection with Staples Professional, Staples Preferred, and related services and programs (collectively, “services”) where this Notice is posted.
We reserve the right to change this Notice at any time. When the Notice is revised, the date of the latest revision will appear at the top of this page. If you object to any content of this Notice, you should not provide us with your data or use the services.
The data we collect.
We collect the following data, in the following ways:
- We collect data that you provide us directly, for example, your name, title/profession, company/organization name, business address, business e-mail and phone number, other contact details, business details such as number of employees as well as business needs (e.g. the services you require). We may also collect your payment information (e.g. corporate credit card) to process your purchase.
- We may obtain data about you from other sources for purposes such as prospecting and/or enhancing the data you have provided.
- We have a record of your transactional spend data with Monarch.
How we use the data.
We may use the data in the following ways to:
- process and respond to your application for our services, for example, to schedule a visit to your site to provide our business and other services.
- process, fulfill and manage your membership/program requests.
- process, fulfill and manage your orders, refunds or exchanges, to provide customer service, to identify your preferences, and to provide you services across multiple devices.
- conduct sales research and analysis, create internal reports, manage our business operations and anonymize data.
- to comply with legal matters, investigations, enforce our terms and agreements, and as otherwise required by applicable laws and regulations.
- provide and manage our promotional and marketing efforts, including tailoring your membership rewards, to market products and services, including serving you interest-based advertising, and with your consent, to send you promotional electronic messages.
How we share data.
We may share data with other parties, such as:
- within the Staples’ family of companies, including our affiliates and associates.
- with service providers that process data on our behalf, including payment processors, credit providers, call centers, delivery services (for example, UPS and FedEx) and website analytics (for example, Google Analytics).
- with promotional partners to provide you with offers and promotions that may be of interest to you (only with your consent).
- in the event of a transaction, such as merger, acquisition, sale or restructuring involving all or a portion of our company or any of our affiliates or associates.
We will use commercially reasonable safeguards to keep your data confidential, including with respect to any transfer to an affiliate, associate or service provider. Your data may be processed and stored outside of Canada, including the United States, and subject to the laws of that jurisdiction.
Data options and questions.
You can click “unsubscribe” to stop receiving promotional emails or other promotional electronic messages.
Any privacy and data-related questions may be directed to: [email protected]